Jose Ramos -About Me
“My name is José Ramos and I’m a passionate landscape photographer from Portugal, currently located in Lisbon.
During my career, I’ve had the pleasure of being published in several international magazines (including National Geographic, The Telegraph, Photography Week and others), running workshops and photo-tours in Portugal, winning international photo awards, selling prints to all over the world, doing photo exhibitions and many other. I’m also an Official Ambassador for FLM Tripods, Nisi Filters and Terrascape Filter Bags.
I started shooting thirteen years ago and this passion grew so strong that this was the art I have chosen to express myself and pay homage to the beauty and power of the world which surrounds us. I’m currently dividing my time between working as a doctor (psychiatrist in an inpatient unit in Lisbon) and a photographer, which implies great dedication to be able to develop my skills in both areas. So far this has been possible with a strong commitment, and at the expense of sleeping hours, which would only be bearable when there’s intense passion about both subjects.
In my photos, the act of raising awareness about Nature and the need to protect the environment is simultaneously linked, through embedded concepts and stories for each image, with existential reflections about the self and our place in the world. My website’s manifesto is the following: “When the aesthetic power of Nature meets a man’s vision of the world, creation takes place and images become the crystallized hybrid product of this encounter. Travelling and endlessly searching for the light, the silence and the lessons of the landscape, here I present you my vision of the world as seen through my eyes and soul, hoping I can at least take you there just for a moment, to the moment which lies so intense in my memory…” From www.joseramos.com
Jose Ramos’ accolades include:
- TIPA (Technical Image Press Association) Trophy Award – Third Prize (2000 eur). Part of one of the world’s largest photo contests – Trierenberg Super Circuit 2015
- 16 images selected for exhibition at the four Salons of the Trierenberg Super Circuit Contest
- Contrast 2015 Photo Club Infinity Contest – Honourable Mention by the Photographic Society of America – Nature category
- Fstoppers Volume 5 2015 contest – Grand Jury Winner
- “Slow Landscapes Competition” – Photography Week Magazine – First place
- “Landscapes 101 Contest” – Digital Photography School – First prize among 26.000 submissions
- Featured on the “200 Best Photos of Portugal on Instagram” book, published by Primebooks, with a selection of 12 photos, including cover image
- Featured on the “50 Best Spots of Portugal” book, published by Primebooks, with a selection of 5 photos
- Soon to be published selected Portfolio Book in Portugal
International Photo Magazines: